Our Philosophy and Objectives
Relationships are at the heart of our program. Time and resources are allocated to make sure the dignity, worth, and uniqueness of each child, staff member, and family member is respected. We see ourselves as the guardians of childhood, offering a unique perspective to families, and we are careful to provide a safe but also inviting, challenging, and joyful environment for children to develop socially, emotionally, and physically.
We base our work with children on knowledge of child development theory and research. Our main two influences are the schools of Reggio Emilia, Italy and the ideas from anti‐bias curriculum. Our assumption is that children learn best through play and we program accordingly. We also believe that children are best understood in the context of their family, culture, and society. Our program seeks to provide an environment rich of natural, sophisticated, and found materials that support children’s interests and foster a delight in learning. Through our relationships, we nurture and appreciate each individual child and adult, knowing this careful attention will contribute to a growing positive self‐concept and self‐identity.
We believe that children achieve their fullest potential through caring, stable relationships with teachers based on trust, respect, cultural sensitivity, and positive regard.
We work in partnerships with families, appreciating and supporting the close ties between children and families. We also recognize that families are the experts regarding their children.
We offer four main programs for children aged 6 weeks to 12 years:
- Infants and Toddlers
- Early Preschool
- School Age
In addition, all children have the opportunity to participate in our Reggio-inspired Spanish program. Our work together is shaped by our commitment to emergent curriculum, anti-bias practices, and by the ideas and experiences of the schools in Reggio Emilia, Italy.
The program and policies of Hilltop Children’s Center have been designed to accomplish the following objectives:
- To provide a socially based and emotionally supportive and nurturing environment for all children in our care.
- To help each member of our community reach full self‐expression in the areas of intellect, creativity, self‐esteem, and self‐
- To create a positive and mutually supportive working relationship with the families of children in our care.
- To provide culturally relevant, anti‐bias learning environments for children which reflect a respect for individual differences, while furthering social justice.
- To recruit and foster a self‐directed staff who work respectfully, effectively, joyfully, and honestly as a team.
- To promote continual professional development based on Hilltop Children’s Center’s core philosophies, new advances in research, and self‐directed learning and passions.
- To serve as a leader and advocate in the early learning field, ensuring high quality, engaging early education for all.
- To remain financially solvent and fiscally sound with business ethics and practices which sustain Hilltop for future generations.