Employment Opportunities – We are hiring!
Hilltop Children’s Center and Hilltop Educator Institute are internationally recognized as a school for early childhood education (ECE) and as a professional development and training organization for educators and administrators. Hilltop has been providing and promoting child-centered early education for young children for almost 50 years. Drawing inspiration from the schools of Reggio Emilia, Italy and from Anti-Bias Curriculum, Hilltop’s faculty engages daily in rigorous reflective practice – collaboratively designing our environment and curriculum around the emerging interests and curiosities of children. Through the Institute, we strengthen our teaching practice alongside our colleagues and partners in the field.
Hilltop is, first and foremost, a center of inquiry – for children, families, faculty, and colleagues in the early childhood field. Our educators are early learning professionals dedicated to celebrating the wonders of childhood alongside children, while also deepening their practice with children through regular reflection and study.
We are closely guided by our vision: Hilltop honors and trusts children, engages families, and inspires educators to create a more just and joyful world; by our mission: Hilltop is transforming early childhood education through play, collaboration, and reflection: in our classrooms with children, partnerships with families, and professional development with educators; and by our values of Learning in Relationship, Emergent Curriculum, Leadership in Community, and Organizational Integrity.
Hilltop is an equal opportunity employer, pursuing diversity, equity, and inclusion, and valuing what diversity brings to the workplace. Applicants of color, men, LGBTQ+ and candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to apply.
Our Core Values
- Learning in Relationship – We believe in reciprocal influence
- Emergent Curriculum – We believe learning should be self-led and is constructed through experiences, inquiry, and reflection
- Leadership in Community – We believe that collective contributions lead to bold action
- Organizational Integrity – We believe that root tending creates stability and intentional growth
Support Educator (FT) (Fremont/Queen Anne)
Join us in building on the wonders of childhood.
HOW YOU FIT IN:
We are seeking a full-time, 40 hour per week, support educator who is passionate, creative, intentional, and reflective in their work with children. The support educator is valued for their ability to:
- remain flexible to changing needs of the daily schedule and move from classroom to classroom as requested by the Program Supervisor
- create ongoing relationships with all classroom staff, children, and families
- take direction from classroom staff
- support and encourage learning moments amidst the frequent transitions they encounter
We seek educators who can support children’s work in:
- developing a healthy sense of self in relationship with other people
- collaborative and cooperative problem-solving
- engaging in strong and playful physical activity
- developing critical thinking skills around issues of bias and social justice
HIGHLY DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
The most competitive candidates will have 3+ years teaching experience and have a degree in Education or a related field. We are looking for educators who have:
- a commitment to reflective work with children
- an eagerness to collaborate with co-teachers and families
- a fervor for on-going professional development and growth
- a disposition towards research and inquiry
- fluency attending to the micro- and macro- layers of experience in the classroom
- engaging communication and interpersonal skills with children, peers and families
- strength in creating partnerships with children, families and adults
- experience supporting curriculum responsive to children’s emerging interests
- familiarity with emergent curriculum, Reggio practice, and anti-bias approaches
- community enrichment/volunteer experience
- a long-term commitment to early learning
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email a job-specific cover letter and resume outlining your experience and education along with professional references to Nick Schmidt at email@example.com. This position requires successful background check and reference checks. Positions will remain open until filled.
Salary starting range is DOE, 100% medical/dental health coverage, generous leave accrual, flexible leave policy, matching retirement, and outstanding on-site professional development opportunities.
Substitute Early Childhood Educator (Fremont/Queen Anne)
Join us in building on the wonders of childhood.
HOW YOU FIT IN:
We are seeking on-call substitute educators who are passionate, creative, intentional, and reflective in their work with children. We seek substitute teachers who value and promote children’s play; are curious about child perspective; understand child guidance in a development context; are alert to the learning process of each child; model anti‐ bias practices and cultural sensitivity; are able to work in collaboration with other teachers; are flexible with the changing needs of the schedule and comfortable with moving from classroom to classroom; have the ability to take initiative; and are diligent about health and safety. Potential job growth and advancement opportunities may be available. Note: Substitute employees are employed on an as needed, on-call, day-to-day basis and are not guaranteed a minimum number of hours per week.
- Responsible for supporting teachers in facilitating child-centered, Reggio Emilia-inspired curriculum which encourages long stretches of open play
- Assist teachers with implementation of the daily program, and conducting activities
- Supervise classroom; stay alert to developing situations and needs of the children
- Communicate with teachers and administrators
- Assist with lunch & snack periods, clean-up, helping maintain the classroom environment
- Engage with children in a non-directive way (reading, facilitating play, and helping children to work out disagreements among themselves….)
- Guiding and encouraging social interactions and exploration, rather simply entertaining children
- Greet parents and share stories of their child’s day
- Candidates should have at least 1 year experience in an educational setting, preferably in Early Childhood Education, or equivalent.
- Reliable & punctual, with sense of humor, flexible, and sociable.
- A disposition toward children that is respectful & reflective
HOW TO APPLY
Please email Nick Schmidt (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a job-specific cover letter and resume outlining your experience and education. This position requires successful background check and reference checks. Positions will remain open until filled. Hilltop is an equal opportunity employer, pursuing diversity and valuing what diversity brings to the workplace. Teachers of color, LGBT, men and others are encouraged to apply.
Salary starting range is $15.00 hourly (DOE/E) with annual raise consideration.